Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sobriety: What's the big deal?

A bit of background: Last evening, I attended a tacky Christmas party, thrown by one of my old sorority sisters. Of course, alcohol was advertised as part of the evening, which honestly, was no big deal to me. My excitement was mostly drawn from getting to wear a ridiculous outfit and play Dirty Santa/Yankee Swap. Oh, and seeing friends. I love my friends and senior year has been a difficult mistress, often interfering with my attempts at a social life.

Upon my arrival at the party, I was immediately directed to the alcohol. Really? At this point, I had kept my decision to not drink anymore to myself. I didn’t mention it at this point either. Of course, I socialized, greeting those I knew and meeting new friends. Not long after, one of my closest friends, pledge sister and “date” for the evening (since we were 2 of the 3 single people invited), caught me at the mini-fridge and attempted to give me a beer. I politely declined and to my surprise, she balked. It did not make any sense to her that I would come to a party with zero intention to imbibe. I calmly explained my reasoning – caloric intake, cost and the plethora of negative things alcohol had helped create in my life. Yet again, she was dumbfounded. Alcohol, to her, and several other guests listening, was the best way to have a good time. Yes, I understand, most of the attendees are in college or are recent graduates, but seriously?

Why is alcohol such a necessary component to these people’s, and anyone‘s really, “good time”? Alcohol does take the edge off and make it much easier to socialize with that group of girls you don’t know and who intimidated you slightly at first. Yes, it helps people flirt with each other. Confidence can be gained with a drink, but so can stupidity. Let’s not even get into drunk driving, but that’s just a scratch on the surface of all the idiotic things drinking too much can do to you.

This post isn’t really intended to be a “drinking is awful” rant. Honestly, my main issue is the fact that out of the 20 or so people attending this shindig, only three understood and/or agreed with my decision regarding alcohol. I firmly believe (although I struggle with practicing) in that whole “Judge not that ye be not judged” thing (see Matthew 6 in the Bible if you’re curious). I willingly went to a party where there would be alcohol, sans a desire to drink, and had no problem with my friends drinking. Yet, my personal and quiet opposition to doing something I don’t want to do was greeted with confusion and annoyance.

Needless to say, I had a great time. Food, dancing, ridiculous Christmas/Hanukah gifts and great friends…what could be better? I went home at the same time as everyone else and guess what? I didn’t wake up this morning with the splitting headache, nausea and exhaustion that comes with that splendid after-effect of alcohol – the hangover.

I think the Beatles said it best, “All you need is love.” I’ll try to keep that in mind from now on when I’m quick to judge someone or when someone’s opinion of me irks my spirit.

2 comments:

  1. I know what u mean. I have been in the same situation. I think I learned that I was in the wrong crowd. I love going to church reunions now where people speaks honestly and sober about important things in life and have fun beeing in the right crowd. :-) Just wamted to share my experience. Nice blog by the way!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was at that party i would've been right there with you! It is hard to have friends that view drinking as the only way to have fun. Sometimes its easy to ignore and just have fun with them, other times it can be exhausting...maybe a little annoying :) Nice post!

    ReplyDelete